Friday 10 October 2008

Week One: 3rd October 2008

"In as far as our expectations are ideal they are unattainable; in as far as they are reasonable, they have a chance of being met."

Isca Salzberger-Wittenberg.

Really great to see a full house for the first week of the course. I feel it bodes well! People were already talkng to each other before the session started. A (the tutor) seems very friendly (as one would expect).We did the usual Birkbeck thing of finding out about our neighbour and introducing them to the group. Mine was K who already has a degree in psychology (I felt jealous of that). I remembered pretty much everything she told me. Interestingly, the only thing I omitted was the fact that she had been in counselling herself for two years. I wonder why? Whilst I was telling her about my life, I mentioned that I'd had marital problems and I said 'one of us had to go'. K took that to mean that I had left my husband when what I actually meant was that 'one of us had to go into counselling'. We laughed at the Freudian implications. Mostly women on the course, just two men. A wide range of backgrounds and experience. I'm looking forward to hearing different cultural experiences. We all seem to be hoping for insight and unexpected directions. Someone voiced the fear of painful revelation. Either way it promises to be cathartic.

No comments: