Tuesday 16 June 2009

Reflective practice: May 22nd 2009


I was away visiting my mother last week in north wales where she lives with my step-father. I can't say that I felt anything in particular at missing a class, probably because I was taken up with the dynamic of being around parents again. Interestingly, the first thing they did was to take me for an ice-cream as soon as i got off the train. Now there's a regression I'll never object to!

Anyway, back into the fray! Self-awareness and reflection on one's own thoughts are a vital part of the counselling process for the helper. The helper needs to take feedback and reflect upon their own experience in order to identify patterns. We looked at learning journal extracts and identified which seemed more reflective. These were calmer and more considered and stood out from other extracts which were more prickly and took the behaviour and comments of tothers as very personal. Self-reflection then is a slightly distanced activity and something I'm accustomed to from script feedback.

I see that looking back over previous learning journal entries, that I both detail broadly what goes on in class and make a note of anything interesting. I am a little inhibited about reflection because there is a tension surrounding the respecting of the privacy of colleagues.

We were encouraged to consider a 'smart goal' to achieve with respect to our own reflection. Mine will centre around my learning journal (this very one!). K made a very salient point during triad work. She suggested that I keep two. This blog and a more private (for my eyes only) type of journal which could be more reflective. Interestingly, E and I were clients and helpers this week whilst K was helper and observer. I like triad work though it takes a while to get your head round it. I do note a certain reluctance on the part of some to give written feedback the next week.

No comments: