Wednesday 20 April 2011

Update


My, it's been a while since I posted here.

Since the date of the last blog post, I did another follow-up course lasting a year, to complete the Introductory Course in Counselling and Counselling Skills and gained the necessary certificate to go on to a Masters. I felt quite tempted by this possibility but realised that though fascinating and indeed life-changing, I simply don't have the time, money or space in my life for the commitment of a Masters degree. Maybe in ten years' time!

Nonetheless, it has been a life-changing process in that I engaged in reflection and reevaluation (never a bad thing and something I've resisted for the right and wrong reasons). I have come to realise that actually, writing and caring for my son (a young disabled adult) are my vocations: I'm not convinced I have the intellectual head space to devote to something as all-encompassing as a career in counselling. However, as both writing and caring are by their very nature, solitary pursuits, I do need something that gets me out of the house and into the wider community and pays me some money. To that end, I now have a job as support assistant in a local school, assisting a child with behavioural issues. I can't wait!

No comments: