Thursday 29 January 2009

16th January 2009


This week: Non-verbal communication. How do I come across by how I dress? Cruella De Vil? Primark Princess? I certainly never mind something cheap that looks like it's more expensive. I feel slightly ashamed for even admitting it but how I look is important to me. Whatever i wear, I just want to put it on, feel satisfied and then forget about it. But, because I am loud, colourful, funky blah blah, I do sometimes fret that I'm hiding... what? A lack of inner substance?? Surely not! I might be a frustrated fashion designer I suppose. E critiques my style and me, hers. She by contrast is very tall, thin and groomed. Her height precludes her from wearing very bright colours, perhaps? We came to no obvious conclusions beyond agreeing that clothes can be codification or indicators of what tribal group you belong to. Also secret signs for certain groups like gay and lesbian for whom more overt display might be dangerous.

NON-VERBAL COMMUNICATION:
Dress
posture
eye contact
Facial expression
Smell
Mobile ring tones (yes really).

After the break we took turns to be counsellor and client to discuss the subject for the first essay. B went first but my smiling rictus put her off. The brief was to listen without speaking, to indicate our engagement with the client by non-verbal means. I was forced to jump in and ask a question to get B going again and it was fine. I then talked, which I found fine and B's manner was friendly, interested but neutral which made it easy to talk. We had forms to fill in about the experience which we can use to build up a portfolio.

NOTE TO SELF: Don't gurn at the clients. It puts them off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I have noticed you have my blog on your blog. Cool :o) But do we know each other? Or any reason its on your blog. We havent met before have we? Its just that my memory is not that good at times. So forgive me if we have met before

warm wishes
souls

Elinor said...

Hey there Souls,

no we've not met. I just thought your blog was very honest and I respect that. It's illuminating to me to read of your experience of counselling.

Warm wishes,
Elinor.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Elinor